Posted on

Drivers Uninjured After Toombs County Crash

Courtesy of the Georgia State Patrol

The Georgia State Patrol recently investigated a crash that left two cars mangled and the intersection of U.S. Highway 1 and Georgia Highway 56 blocked in Toombs County.

The collision occurred on Tuesday, November 14, as the Toombs County 911 Dispatch received a call about the crash at 6:20 p.m. that evening. Upon arrival, the officers and first responders found a black GMC Acadia in the right lane of U.S. Highway 1 South several yards south of the intersection and a gray Ford Crown Victoria in the left lane of the roadway approximately 30 yards south of the intersection.

Georgia State Patrol investigated the crash and determined that the car, which was driven by June Dixon, 68, of Lyons, was traveling south on U.S. Highway 1, while the SUV, which was driven by Amber Clark, 30, of Hazlehurst, was stopped at the stop sign at the intersection of U.S. Highway 1 and Georgia Highway 56. Clark told troopers that she looked both ways, saw a vehicle traveling Northbound on U.S. Highway 1, and waited for the vehicle to pass before attempting to cross the intersection. She said that she also looked back left one last time before crossing the intersection and did not see anyone, so she proceeded forward. Clark stated that she did not see Dixon until a moment before she was hit, as Dixon did not have her headlights on.

Dixon’s vehicle struck Clark’s vehicle on the left side with its front end, causing Clark to rotate 90 degrees clockwise and travel several feet along U.S. Highway 1 before coming to a final uncontrolled rest. Dixon’s vehicle continued to travel south on the roadway before also reaching a final uncontrolled rest.

When troopers interviewed Dixon after the crash, she shared that she believed her headlights were on because the dash lights were on inside the car. Dixon said she could see where she was going, and troopers reported that she seemed stunned to hear her headlights did not appear to be on according to two witnesses.

Both drivers were taken by ambulance to be checked out at Memorial Health Meadows Hospital, but neither sustained serious injuries.

Recent Death Notices