Posted on

City of Soperton Receives “Clean Opinion” on Financial Audit

During their Work Session meeting on Monday, February 2, 2026, the Soperton City Council listened as Niki Eason from McLain, Calhoun, McCullough, Clark and Company presented the firm’s findings for the city’s 2024 Fiscal Year Financial Audit. The purpose of the audit was to verify the accuracy of the city’s financial statements, ensure regulatory compliance, and evaluate internal controls. The city was given a “clean audit,” also known as a clean opinion or a best possible finding from an independent auditor. Mayor Koon stated he was very pleased with the finding and said the full report may be viewed by the public at City Hall upon request.

A major order of business was discussion of the work to be done at the old recreation department. Mayor Koon reported three bids had been submitted for the project. TQ Constructors was the lowest bid at $665,746.00, United General at $825,000.00 and Tri-Scapes, Inc., at $1,184,000.90. The council voted to accept the construction bid submitted by TQ Constructors. The original bid of $665,746.00 was modified to the final amount of $479,524.00. This will cover repairs and construction of Phase 1 Part A and will include changes to basketball courts, tennis courts, pickle ball courts, the repair of the pavilion, a crush and run parking lot to be paved in the future, pads up to the old pavilion, lights on the basket ball, tennis and pickle ball courts as well as grading and ground preparation.

A local contractor, Danny Shepard, has been subcontracted to do the grading and ground work. Part B of Phase I will include a second basketball court, a shelter up on the hill, new playground equipment and rubber mulch ground covering for the playground. Later Phase II will include reworking the four ball fields turning them into all purpose fields with new field fencing. This will also include backstops, dug outs, and covers for the spectator stands.

Concerns were raised by some council members about security and possible vandalism. The mayor reported the plan is to have cameras on the property placed high enough that they could not be damaged and would be tied into city hall’s camera security system. The mayor acknowledged the 'very real possibility of property vandalism” but added, “That can’t stop us. We can’t not do it, we have to have a place for our young people, our teenagers and for our older people to participate and have a place for recreation.”

Depending on the weather, the mayor reported, the work will begin the middle of next week and will be completed within 90 to 120 days. Funding for this project comes from a $250,000.00 award with the remainder from grant and SPLOST monies. The council decided on a ground breaking ceremony slated for Wednesday, February 11, 2026, at 4:30 p.m. at the old recreation department.

The council took into consideration a $400,000.00 loan from either Georgia First Bank or Mt. Vernon Bank to make repairs caused by hurricane Helene at the new recreation park including the repair of 4 fields, fences, back stops, dug outs, and covered stands. Insurance covered the cost of replacing the concession stand.

FEMA monies, slated for the new recreation field is included in one of the city’s three FEMA projects expiring within 60 days. The mayor noted, “If we don’t meet that deadline for repairs and construction, we don’t get the $100,000 for that.” The mayor said that TQ Constructors has been working on city streets and offered to do the new recreation department work at a reduced rate as their equipment is already mobilized inside the city. The mayor stated that based on the urgency of the situation he decided to make the decision to give them the go ahead. Council members expressed their need to have an itemized bill before they felt comfortable confirming them as the project contractor with one council member stating she would have preferred a called meeting and another council member stating she felt the decision had been taken out of council's hands and questioned the city attorney regarding the legalities of this. To which City Attorney Calhoun replied, “I’ll have to get back with you on that.” The mayor asked the council to consider the information he had presented and that he would ask the contractor the next day for an itemized bill. The voting was tabled until a later date.

City Attorney Paul Calhoun presented a draft of the Judicial Modernization Ordinance for the City of Soperton. The intent of this proposed ordinance is to modernize and clarify the city’s authority over its own local court system. If the ordinance is adopted, it would replace the existing Recorder’s Court and formally establish the city’s Municipal Court. This ordinance will also incorporate certain state laws and misdemeanors as city offenses. These will include possession of marijuana less than an ounce, reckless driving and criminal trespassing. This presentation of this proposed ordinance to the council serves as the first of the two required readings. The second and final reading will be at the next regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, February 16, 2026. Voting to approve or disapprove the ordinance will take place at that meeting.

The mayor gave an update on the 1.6-million-dollar water and sewage project stating Josh Gobby and his manager had reported the work should be done by end of the year. The mayor said, “This is work that is needed but people will never see.” The work will include replacing generators, adding standby generators as well as upgrades to lift stations, the well pump house, bell press, monitors, including electronic updates. The mayor reminded everyone “Gobby brought us three generators from Georgia Rural Water Association that helped us greatly during Hurricane Helene.” Gobby will send the project timeline, which will include a start date and the completion date.

The next regularly scheduled Soperton City Council meeting is Monday at 6 p.m. on February 16, 2026.

Share
Recent Death Notices